Friday, March 18, 2011

Video Peer Review

I definitely feel there is a value to peer reviewing when used appropriately and by people who have the necessary knowledge to do so. I think peer reviewing before an instructor grades an assignment enables students to help one another and helps to motivate kids who are not giving it there all when they see their peers giving it their all.

Peer reviewing can be difficult because you do not want to offend anyone or hurt their feelings. One practice I do with peer reviewing is not counting the other kids grades, since kids tend to give their friends a better score and those kids they might not like so much a not so good score. I take their peer review into consideration by I am the "expert" on the topic so the grade comes from me (someone experienced ). I especially feel this practice is necessary in college, since I am paying for the opportunity and want the expert opinion.

When it comes to the domains and peer reviewing, I feel it is included because we need to include our students in the decision making process of their education. This helps to self motivate and allows the student to feel they have invested time and interest and we appreciate their opinions and insight. Collaboration with students, whether it is student to student or student with instructor is a very powerful tool in the classroom establishing a culture of intrinsic motivation.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erin,
    I really appreciate your comments on using peer review in the classroom as a motivational tool and a mechinism to allow students to feel invested in the class or the objectives of the assignment. I believe you are correct in your view that students will feel more appreciated and respected when their view points are asked for and documented. Collaborating with students and having an interest in their opinions will not only foster stronger relationships but may also, as you suggest, provide them with the motivation neccessary to continue to succeed in school.

    ReplyDelete